Sunday, February 13

round and round...


click

A fascinating anonymous email, signed "timwees," that david received for creating the "Mandala MTV":


Thank you for that. You have kept alive for us a wonderful lesson.

I once had the privilege of observing the creation of a mandala such as this. It was in Courtenay, British Columbia (Canada) about eight years ago. A group of monks came to town and created their work in the community centre. At the conclusion of the experience, the Buddhist monks struck up the band .. banging and blowing and loud noises and pure joy being blasted into the ether. And then the art work was swept into a pile. We had a cavalcade to the ocean. The leading monk hoisted his robes above his knees and waded into the ocean and released the sand back into the sea.

In my life this experience had a remarkable effect for which I am most grateful. It is not germane to this conversation to get into the detail. Suffice it to say that I had lost everything and everyone I loved and felt shunned and devastated. Observing the monks gave me the insight and strength and dogged persistence to let it all go and start anew. And then to watch what I had created, newly, itself fade and disappear. There was remorse, regret .. and then remembering the lesson and again .. letting go. Experiencing and doing this and learning, year after year. Learning ... though the produced result gives bite to the creative idea, being first formulated as thought and then manifested as physical reality, the creative idea is what is real and lasting. The creative idea only lives in motion. It lives in the creating of it and instantly vanishes. It is amazing the freedom I feel when I can release remorse and regret, the freedom to be newly me in every new moment.

Not to say that it always happens that way, but if things get tough and my mind gets around to focusing on solutions, I remember those monks and their gift to my life.

Letting go.

Thank you.



No comments: